A Spider-Man pushup, also known as a spider pushup, is a variation on the standard pushup that incorporates leg movements to work your hips and abdominal region. A regular pushup is an effective upper body exercise that focuses on your chest but also works your shoulders and triceps. The spider pushup is a more advanced move, so it is wise to get clearance from your doctor if you haven’t exercised for some time or recently have been injured.
- Start in the standard push up position, with your hands under your shoulders and your body in a straight line
- As you lower your torso towards the floor, bend your elbows out to the side.
- At the same time, lift one foot off the floor, bend the knee to the side up to hip level.
- As you bend your elbows out to the side and lower your torso toward the floor,
- Repeat this action, alternating side
Key points to remember
- Keep the hips off the floor, and try to minimize rotation of the hips
- Stabilize and activate the core muscle groups
- You can bring your knee further forward to touch your elbow
If you’re looking for a little variation in your workout, give it a try, and let us know what you think.
Your friends at Socially Fit.