Using egg whites and only a portion of the yolks really helps to cut down on the fat and caloric intake and loading these little muffins with veggies gives them that extra nutritional boost! Be forewarned the house will smell amazing as these bake in the oven.
- Olive Oil Spray (Pure Olive Oil)
- 4 scallions (or green onions), minced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 14 egg whites
- 4 whole eggs
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1 slice partly skimmed mozzarella cheese, or 1/4 cup shredded
- Dash of sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 12-muffin tin with a small amount of olive oil spray to prevent sticking.
- Combine vegetables in a big bowl. Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full with vegetables.
- Whisk eggs and seasonings in a large mixing bowl.
- Use a 1/3-measuring cup for the egg mixture and pour slowly into each muffin tin. Egg mixture should fill tin the rest of the way. Top each cup with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until muffins have risen and are slightly browned.
- Serve or keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days and grab as snacks to go!
To make these muffins even more filling and more of a meal deal, use a jumbo muffin tin and add a couple tablespoons of cooked quinoa to each muffin! This alteration would up the protein and add some extra energy in the form of healthy complex carbohydrates!
Your friends at Socially Fit!